This post is going to explain you about AutoSys JIL (Job Information Language) and how to use JIL.
AutoSys is an automated job scheduler used for handling and controlling unattended and managed processes. An AutoSys program can be executed in series of batch or script programs, to define an AutoSys job you need to have a LINUX/UNIX or a Windows machine.
And most importantly, make sure you have installed an agent is installed on the client’s machine because without using an agent, you won’t be able to transfer the code using FTP into the client’s database.
AutoSys JIL (Job Information Language)
AutoSys JIL aka Job Information Language is a scripting language used for creating a job in AutoSys. When a programmer needs to define a program in AutoSys, he can either use the AutoSys Graphical User Interface (G.U.I), the GUI interface is basically based on Java or he can use Job Information Language command prompt to create a job. The AutoSys G.U.I mostly also based on JIL.
When you need to define a job using JIL, be sure to define the parameters, the attributes, and the set the scheduled time during which, the Job is going to going to be triggered in the Agent’s computer. Using AutoSys JIL, you can also collect information and report status of a process.
You can write the subcommands and save in a .txt file, and then you can open up the command prompt and type the following syntax:
jil - v syntax < file_name.txt
The main purpose of writing the codes in a .txt file and then importing the code is that the UI is much more user- friendly, so there are fewer chances of someone committing a mistake while defining a job, plus the syntax and attributes can be seen more clearly in a .txt file than in cmd.
Now, it is better to double check whether the syntax was properly declared or not, because it is kind of frustrating to debug an error later on, so for doing a check just insert “- v syntax” after ‘jil” keyword.
Moving on, to define your own object use the syntax given below:
sub_command : name_of_the_object
As mentioned earlier, to define a job in AutoSys you must also declare some attributes and do that in JIL, just type the following
attribute_keyword : value
How to write JIL command on a Windows machine?
In order to write an AutoSys JIL subcommand on a Windows machine you need to follow the given steps:-
1. Click on the Start button >> All Programs >> CA >> Workload Automation >> Command Prompt.
2. In the cmd window, type “jil”, to access CA Workload Automation prompt.
3. To run the JIL script, type “ jil < script”.
4. Now enter the subcommands for defining a program.
5. Once you are done, click on exit, once the cmd window closes, the subcommands is loaded into the database.
How to write JIL command on a LINUX/ UNIX machine?
1. Using the “Finder” , type and search for the CA Workload Automation prompt window.
2. In the prompt window type “jil “ to access the CA Workload Automaton instance.
3.Type “ jil –S instance < script” to load the script program in the database.
4. Now enter the JIL subcommands and attributes to define a job.
5. Once you are done click “exit”, once the prompt window discloses the JIL subcommands will get stored in the databases.
Hope you like the JIL tutorial. Let us know your feedback.
You would also want to read more about AutoSys Reference Guide.