What is AutoSys and AutoSys Reference Guide?
AutoSys is an Automated Job scheduler used for creating a job, apart from that, it is also used for controlling and monitoring it. In this context, a job can be referred as a set of batch program or script program, which can be executed for reporting and handling of the un-managed task.
The command or job can be programmed using some predefined keywords and attributes, for running AutoSys; you need to have a Windows or UNIX / LINUX machine. This is mostly used for commercial purposes. You can choose either UNIX script or JAVA for creating an AutoSys program. As of now, CA Inc. provides AutoSys services.
How to define jobs in AutoSys?
Job Information Language (Jil)
For creating a script in JIL, you need to use a set of predefined keywords and attributes.
The AutoSys GUI is basically based on JIL, the only alteration is that you get a much friendlier UI.
You need to define some commands according to your requirements, specify some parameters attribute and last but not the least, you need to set the schedule a time for the execution of the program.
Key aspects of AutoSys
• One of the most important components of AutoSys is ‘Agent’, to observe any system, you need to install an Agent in that particular system, or else you will not get any information about interruption or execution of a process in the database, not only this you will not even receive any kind of report.
• In AutoSys, you must declare some timers, because, during those scheduled times, the scripted codes need to be executed, but for doing that you need to have an event, which will initiate those set of instruction.
• For executing and monitoring process, you need to execute a job and transfer it to the Agent’s computer via File Transfer Protocol (FTP), now the only thing you need to keep in mind is that for executing the process in UNIX you should use script, whereas, for running on a Windows machine, you should use batch processing.
• As you execute a program in an Agent’s machine, sometimes a process might get interrupted or it might also encounter some kind of error, now for generating the status AutoSys produces an Alarm to let the system know that a problem has occurred.
How to issue a command in Windows or UNIX machine?
As mentioned before, in order to run an AutoSys program in a Windows or a UNIX machine, you need to use batch programming or shell script programming.
• For running a AutoSys program on a Windows machine, click on “Start” > in the search box, type “cmd” or you can press “Ctrl + X” >> “cmd”, then type for eg “instance_name”, now before doing that please make sure AutoSys is installed on your client machine, or else the job defined in the cmd will not be issued.
• For running an AutoSys program on a UNIX/LINUX machine, press “Ctrl + Alt + T”, to open the terminal window.
Now, once the cmd window or the terminal window opens up, you need to run JIL commands to define a new job once you complete defining the job, run the autosys_secure command to declare the security parameters of the job.